First Impression: Advice For That First Date
First dates are tough situations. Oftentimes, they can end up being painfully awkward. So what do you do?
What follows are a list of dating tips to help you and your date get started on the right foot:
– Try not to meet at each other's houses and try to drive yourself. This is so that if you want to end the date early, you won't be trapped. This also helps avoid the impulse to invite your date in or not. Also, having your own car means you don't have to worry about your safety; your date won't know where you live and this avoids a date turning into some bad stalking nightmare.
– Try to keep the date as simple as possible. First dates can bring on jittery nerves. Jittery nerves and complicated plans do not mix. Just make it easy and enjoyable.
– Men, try ending the date first and do it politely, though make sure that you show you're interested. This will make you stand out.
– Women, don't wear anything provocative or too sexy. This sounds like an old cliché but first impressions last. Your date won't know anything about you except for how you look and how you behave. He will take you at face value and giving him the wrong impression on what sort of person you are is not something you want to do.
– Try and wear clothing that makes you confident and that you are comfortable wearing. It will be uncomfortable enough without worrying about that tightness around you waist or the itchy necktie.
– Men, try to be specific about where you are going for the date. This will make the entire affair more comfortable and it prepares your date for what to expect and what to wear. Wearing a cocktail dress to a fast food joint is definitely out!
– Ask your date about himself/herself. A healthy interest in getting to know your date is a good sign to show him/her. This means that you want to learn about him/her and think of your date as an interesting person. Remember, the most interesting conversationalists are those who ask about others. Great topics are work, hobbies and sports. Just keep it light and conversational.
– Try not to overdo the perfume or the cologne. Too strong and the scent can be quite distracting. It's very hard to complete an evening out with your date dazed by the smell.
– Mouthwash is important. Also, brush your teeth and bring a couple of mints if you're eating out.
– And always remember… have fun and be yourself!